Tuesday 13 August 2013

A fantastic shop find

As I've been going around Oswestry over the past few weeks I'd noticed a shop window with a beautiful little girl's dress in the window. It was white with a sash around the waist and gorgeous red satin roses on the skirt.

Now in Oswestry there's a project called Footfall, which uses empty shop windows to create displays of art and other items, usually on a theme. I'd assumed this shop window was part of Footfall, because there was bunting in the window to match the colour scheme, flowers, and other pretty bits of decoration, but there was no name above the shop.

The dress in the window had caught my eye though, so I decided to walk up to have a look at the dress and see if it was an advert for a shop or had any clue as to where I might be able to find something similar. I was delighted when I got there and saw an 'open' sign on the door - it actually is a shop!

When I pushed open the door I started grinning - the first thing I saw was a rack of little white dresses, and on the back wall was a sparkling display of tiaras, hair pins and other pretties suitable for accessorising bridesmaids with.

The lady in the shop was sitting at the counter working on a sewing machine, and she smiled at me when I walked in. I had a mooch around, looking through the racks and investigating the sparklies, and then the lady asked me if I was looking for something in particular. When I told her that I was interested in bridesmaids dresses she produced two catalogues full of beautiful girls' dresses in a variety of colour schemes for me to look through, all very reasonably priced and absolutely gorgeous.

The dresses only take a week or two to come in, and when I said the girls all lived quite a long way away she said that was no problem, and that I could take the dresses away to try on and bring them back to order a different size if needed. She also said that if necessary she could make any alterations that were needed, and was really nice and helpful when she was suggesting possible changes.

Not my bridesmaids, but cute all the same! Pic by shutterpal
I ordered three dresses on the spot - all different but with elements that tie them all together - and then browsed  through the accessories. There were so many lovely things, again, very reasonably priced, and I picked up some hair pins and some flowers, which are lovely and have been tied up with ribbon ready to be carried as bouquets by big and little nieces.

I'm so glad I found the shop, because it's such a lovely place just to mooch around and I'm sure I'll find excuses to go back in there again for hair accessories and an evening bag closer to the wedding date.

PS - The shop also sells eggs!

Kirkham's Sewing Boutique
26 Willow Street, Oswestry, SY11 1AO
e: kirkhamsboutique@yahoo.co.uk 
t: 07546 107172

No comments:

Post a Comment